History of Enrile
The History of Enrile dates as early as 1690. According to Father Juan Paguere, it was just a wide and long stretch of virgin land located at the southern most end of the province of Cagayan. In 1718, the Govierno Superior ordered the place to become one of the barrios of Tuguegarao. It was named “Cabugag” or in short Cabug, the dialect term for hunchback for the first settler was a man with this deformity. So the place was named after him. The name “Cabug” is engraved on the town’s first church bell which is still found in the steeple.
In 1724, The Dominican Friars have thought of giving the barrios their Patron Saint. Cabug was given “Nuestra Señora de las Caldas”. The old prominent residents of the barrio had chosen the sixth day of August as her feast day. As year went by, the land area and population of the barrio increased with surprising rapidly. The Cagayan River which flowed close to the barrio site gradually changed its course and moved further towards Cataggaman as flood plains were formed. The non Christian inhabitants called Kalingas gradually deserted the barrio and moved westward to the Mountain Province. As a result, more agricultural lands were cleared and cultivated. Tobacco and corn are the chief crops of the people.
In September 1849, the Govierno Superior ordered the separation of Cabug from the municipality of Tuguegarao to become a town by itself. The new town was named Enrile in honor of Governor Pascual Enrile who was responsible for building roads in the northern part of Luzon during those days. The separation of Enrile from Tuguegarao led to a change of its patron saint. The population unanimously adopted “Nuestra Señora de las Nieves” as its patron Saint. The fifth day of August was selected as her feast day. Since then the feast day had always been celebrated pompously.
According to Father Julian Malumbres in his Historia de Cagayan, the name “Cabug” was first recorded in the official documents of the Dominican Fathers on January 20, 1849. However the town was known as “Cabug” even up 1863 when the name Enrile was officially written and road in the official documents of the Dominican Fathers.
A. Spanish Regime – 1849 to 1896
- Don Vicente Bunagan
- Don Marcelo Guzman
- Don Martin Fortunato
- Don Lorenzo de los Reyes
- Don Pio Cepeda
- Don Mariano Guzman
- Don Carlos Argonza
- Don Agapito Lappay
- Don Pedro Bunagan
- Don Vicente Carag
- Don Patricio Gacutan
- Don Cayatano Fortunato
1. Don Cornelio Bunagan – 1896 – 1898
American Regime – Municipal Presidents
- Vicente Babaran 1900-1902
- Tomas Carag 1902-1903
- Matias Bunagan 1903-1904
- Agapito Guzman 1904-1906
- Cipriano Pagulayan 1906-1909
- Vicente Babaran 1909-1913
- Nicolas Pauig 1913-1917
- Generoso Palattao 1917-1920
- Pedro Camigad 1920-1924
- Jacinto Camacam 1924-1926
- Francisco Turingan 1926-1931
- Joaquin Accad 1931-1935
- Felix Babaran 1935-1943
- Rufino Luyun 1943-1945(Japanese Regime)
- Agustin Palattao March 1945 to June 30, 1945 (Military)
- Anastacio Luyun 1945-1946 (Appointed)
- Jose Babaran 1947-1951
- Gorgenio Manauis January 1, 1952 to March 27, 1952
- Benigno Carag Serving the rest of the term of Mayor Manauis (deceased), he being the elected Vice Mayor.
Brief Description of the Municipality
Cabug was the original name of Enrile when it was a barrio of Tuguegarao. It was established as a separate town in September 1849 and named in honor of the Spanish Governor General Pascual Enrile during the Spanish regime.
Enrile lies on the southernmost part of Cagayan, bounded by Sta. Maria, Isabela to the south, by the mighty Cagayan River to the east, by Solana and Tuguegarao to the north, Kalinga to the west.
Enrile is predominantly an agricultural town where the majority of its population derive their income from farming. It has a land area of 18,450 hectares unevenly distributed to the 22-barangays of the municipality. Its main products are rice, corn, peanut, tobacco and vegetables.
Enrile has a total population of 29,719 inhabitants. Its citizens are called Itawit because they speak the Itawit dialect. Ilocanos and Tagalogs have settled at the western barangays and have blended very well in the mainstream of Itawit life.
Enrile is a community of simple and hardworking people. While Enrile has limited natural resources, it takes pride in its human resources. Almost every family in the community has a member that is of the professional class. Enrile is best known as community of intellectuals having the highest literacy rate among all municipalities in the province.
In 1690, the town of Enrile was a virgin forest on the southernmost portion of the province of Cagayan.
In 1724 or thereabouts, it was named Cabug, a barrio of Tuguegarao City and it now celebrates its feast day on August 6, later changed to August 5, in honor of its Patron Saint Nuestra Senoŕa de las Caldas.
In the chronicle of Fray Julian Manumbres, Cabug as a geographical unit was officially recorded on January 20, 1849. And although the name Enrile was officially written and read in the records of the Dominicans up to 1863, the town of Enrile was still known as “Cabug”.
Kalingas, the early settlers, were later joined by neighbor inhabitants in the cleaning and cultivating its rich soil. They plowed and planted the fields with staple products and tobacco.
With the increasing production and number of educated elders, the Gobierno Superior proclaimed “Cabug” separated from Tuguegarao City in 1849, with a new patroness named Nuestra Senoŕa de las Nieves.
This proclamed “Cabug” as “Enrile” in honor of Gobernardo General Pascual Enrile, who was responsible for the construction of Luzon’s highways.
Sinupac, a hinterland of Enrile, was the hiding place of Emilio Aguinaldo and his revolutionary forces when they retreated from pursuing American forces.
Today the town of Enrile not only boasts of its peaceful,orderly conditions and its competent professionals, but also of its rapidly growing hog and poultry industry.
Enrile lies on the southernmost part of Cagayan, bounded by Sta. Maria, Isabela to the south, by the mighty Cagayan River to the east, by Solana and Tuguegarao City to the north and by the province of Kalinga to the west.
Enrile is bounded by hills and mountains on both North and West. Area with low elevation is about 20 meters above sea level at the Eastern part which lies close to the river boundaries. The highest elevation is found Northwest which is approximately 800 meters above sea level.
Enrile has a land area of 18,450 hectares unevenly distributed to the 22 barangays of the municipality and predominantly agricultural where the majority of its inhabitants derive their income from farming.
As per National Statistics Office (NSO) survey on population as of August 1, 2007 Enrile is presently inhabited by 29, 719 called Itawit who speak the Itawes dialect and blend well with Ilocanos and Tagalogs whom settled in the western barangays (Roma, Liwan and Maddarulug).
Passenger jeepneys, tricycles and other private transportation vehicles service all routes within and outside Enrile. Kalesa is also driven within the Poblacion and barangays only.
The Municipal Government of Enrile shall evolve into a more cohesive,
responsive and competent work force capable of effective and efficient
delivery of basic services to our constituents.
all sectors in pursuit of accelerated socio-economic development
that will uplift the quality of life of Enrileños.